Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Bike ride..a pictorial journey.

So I got a nice solo bike ride in today, rode about 25 miles and really enjoyed it. The weather was OK, cloudy, cooler (in the 50s), slightly damp, no wind to speak of (a 1st around here!) but once I warmed up, it was a fine day to ride. I even brought my camera along, and took a few pit stops and shot some while moving along. Here we go.

I didn't shoot any pics until I got out to I94, which I made in like 28 minutes. Construction zone...

I found out the bridge on Hwy G is still out! This is my usual turn around point anyways.

One of the fields filled with pumpkins

Here is Hwy G, surrounded by many farm fields and drying feeder corn

We've had a little rain here recently...as you can see here...

I like this one, the camera angle makes this 'hill' look super steep. Killer! Ohhh my legs...actually it wasn't that bad! But it looks steep, hey??

Some goats at the Jo Dan Farm. Great place, kids love going here. I love bleating at the 'kid' goats in the field as I fly on by!

Some of the rollers coming up. Again, not too bad. This ride is actually all up a grade all the way to I94, then back down (mostly).

Pumpkins for sale, self serve out here in the 'sticks'!

23+ mph on this little downhill stretch. I've hit 34+ here before...

over the Root River...

nice riding here, especially during the week. Very light traffic, roads are in OK repair, not ship seal at least!

entering the little Village of Wind Point, some of my favorite riding and running are right here!

my mug, no shave on the days off! I managed not to drop the camera...or break it with this one...

4 Mile Road, heading towards Wind Point just around the bend.

Pulling in to the lighthouse parking lot, new asphalt and all! Great place for a pit stop, bathrooms, water, lake view...

The Giant with a Lake Michigan backdrop, nice!

Looking back west at the lighthouse from the beach. I grew up walking these beaches, god I love it up here!

Looking north towards Milwaukee...

And south towards Racine and North Beach, if you look hard you can see it in the haze...

here, I balanced the camera on that log you saw in a previous pic...

here is Shoop Golf course and Wind Point just south of the lighthouse. Lake Michigan is off to the left...

check out the house on the left, it is built into the side of the hill right along the shoreline. They have some wicked good views of the winter storms that will start in November!

here is one of a view I see often, running or riding literally right next to the Lake Michigan shoreline and view of downtown Racine. This is an awesome spot to go past, no matter the time of year. I did a quick desaturate on this shot...very grey and slightly ominous. I will get some shots here this winter in the snow...

a few miles to the west and up 3 Mile Road, to the rock quarry. No Trespassing is right, would not want to fall over this fence!

peeking through the fence to the west, look at the lower far edge, to the right, in the quarry, there is a tunnel there...

right here, this thing is huge!

and looking across to the NW, you se a building in the tree line

there it is, part of the old St Rita church, now part of the preschool and housing for the novices and staff.

Got leaves? This guy sure does! Makes me appreciate having smaller trees...

Charles Street heading due north, heading home now. Nice wide parking lanes to run and ride in, nice and safe here.

on my dead end street now...almost there...

to our humble little abode!

It was a fun ride today! I took my time, enjoyed it, and look forward to more rides yet this year-I think I need about another 75 miles or so to hit 2,000 miles this year, so there is my motivation! I will get there, this much I know.

We're planning on a group ride (redeux of the Tour de Java which we canned, due to the super cold temps) on Nov 7th, weather permitting again, from Wind Lake to Lake Geneva (right here in Wisconsin, not Switzerland now!). There are some killer hills in the area surrounding Lake Geneva/Fontana, so I will be sure to bring my camera and try not to fall off while I shoot some pics.

Otherwise, the Discovery 15k race (running) is this Saturday, as is our annual Halloween party and...daylight saving time again! This is good and bad; good, we get an extra hour of partying (or more likely, sleep), but the downside is less time to get anything done after work. I'm ready for the 15k, I ran a 7.5 miler yesterday and felt good, did it in 1hr 2min, so I should hit my goal time of 1hr 15min to finish her off. Look for the report over my four day off weekend, another sweet point to look forward to!

1 comment:

  1. wow, that is a beautiful ride. i can't believe you got that many shots! and taking a pic while hitting 23 mph? that's got to be tough. so does the self pic while riding. don't think I could pull that one out.

    well done, havs. You live in a beautiful part of the country.

    ReplyDelete